No one wants yellow teeth, but many of us have experienced that moment of looking in the mirror and wondering how and when stains appeared. Although there are multiple things that can cause teeth to yellow, there are just as many ways to prevent discoloration from happening. Patriot Health is here to help you save on dental care and get to the root of the problem to keep your smile shining bright.
Common causes of yellow teeth
- Foods – Highly pigmented foods such as berries and tomatoes can stain your teeth. Additionally, those with a sweet tooth may be more susceptible to stained teeth as foods higher in sugar cause an increase in bacteria which can lead to discoloring.
- Drinks – From red wine to coffee, teas, and sports drinks, colored beverages can stain if they sit on your teeth all day.
- Smoking – Over time, tobacco products can cause staining and turn teeth a darker color.
- Medication – Certain medications for children under the age of 8, and other medications for adults can cause staining and darken teeth.
- Illness – Certain diseases that affect the enamel, although less common, can cause teeth discoloration. Additionally, treatment such as chemotherapy or radiation may stain teeth a darker color.
- Aging – Naturally, from wear and tear, tooth enamel can become thinner as we age which then allows the yellow color of dentin to show.
- Poor oral hygiene – Of course, not brushing, flossing, or rinsing enough to remove plaque buildup can cause stained teeth and ultimately tooth decay.
How to prevent yellow teeth
Aside from cleaning your teeth daily, here are some helpful dental hints on how to keep your teeth looking pearly white.
- Limit exposure to certain foods that cause teeth to stain.
- Use anti-tartar mouthwash after brushing and flossing.
- Drink beverages that stain through a straw.
- Keep oral hygiene a top priority and get your teeth cleaned during your dentist visit twice a year.
- Use at-home or professional whitening treatments.
From highly pigmented foods to colored beverages, smoking, or natural causes due to aging, teeth can become yellow before we even realize it. With proper dental care and preventative healthy habits, you can easily keep your teeth radiant. Plus, with a Patriot Health Dental Savings Plan, you no longer have to ignore routine cleanings or other dental services to save on costs. Save 25-85%† on dental care nationwide to prevent yellow teeth.